Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Retro Bloggage - Originally Posted July 17, 2007

I was perusing old blog entries and realized that we had made a shift to blogger at a point in time AFTER actually starting the blog.  Therefore, there's this little stash of blog entries which do not show up in our blogger page.  Yet.

In the interest of restoring and reinstating these entries to their rightful place in history (and also because there *are* days that I'm lazy, busy, tired, etc.)  I thought I might pull one out every now and then.  I realize that this will probably only save me for about 20 lazy days (or two months in real time)  but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

-----------------------

I have nine close friends.  We've pretty much known each other since high school, dreamed small, and stayed close.  With me, we're 10 guys.
 
10 makes for an interesting number, because it's easy to line us up with statistics.  If "4 out of 5 dentists recommend it", then 8 of us have a dentist who likes the gum.  If there's less than a 10% chance of dying from West Nile then it becomes a non-threat, since it means that we would need more people in our group in order to kill one off.  Sure, you statistics and logic people might not get on board with this train of thought, but it helps me sleep at night.
 
50% of all marriages end in divorce.  That means 5 of us will end up split up.  The third is happening now.  It hurts to see friends going through this.  And it's scary when real life gets this close.
 
But at the same time, there's a feeling of relief as the group inches towards meeting our quota without my inclusion. There's an odd part of me that believes that if only two more friends would split up, I'll be safe.  And I'm sure there's two other couples who are on shakier ground.  Communication, mutual respect and love stand for nothing.  I have faith in the longevity of my marriage because of the quota.
 
They say 1 in 10 people are gay.  I'm still waiting to see who claims that ticket.
 

2 comments:

Erin said...

that was too funny. Thanks. :)

Lee said...

Oh, when laziness gets rewarded it only perpetuates the cycle.