Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Take My Advice...

I always wanted to be some type of consumer reviewer. I thought I'd be good at it. Buy things and then complain about them. I do that all the time and I don't even get paid for it.

I tried the "secret shopper" gig for a little while, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. There wasn't enough space for creative, freeform complaining. It was all very regimented. How long did it take for the burger? Did they ask if you wanted fries?

Plus the fee was so low, it's essentially a job which pays you in burgers and Cinnabons. It brings up images of me standing on a corner holding a sign that says, "Will Werk For Fud". And I swore I'd left those days behind.

I wonder if wanting to be a reviewer has something to do with wanting your opinion to matter. Or thinking you know what's best for other people.

Maybe career reviewers are like that one uncle everyone has who gives unsolicited advice. On everything. All the time.

I don't want to be that guy. So I'll reserve all my judgements and keep my opinions to myself.

Except this one.

Vista sucks donkey balls.

No comments: